Software Engineer (Web Specialist)
Who we are
Touch by AJ Bell are developing a next generation investment platform. We want to use technology to improve the way consumers access financial advice and manage their investments.
The majority of existing platforms are still reliant on software and processes that aren’t capable of supporting today’s technology, so we started from scratch, developing a modern platform that is as efficient as possible. We're building a mobile first investment app that lets advisers manage their clients' investments entirely through their smartphone.
We originally founded the company (then Adalpha Ltd) in 2018, before being acquired in 2021 by AJ Bell, one of the UK's largest investment platforms and part of the FTSE 250 Index, to support the development of their digital services.
Our software engineers engage in the full spectrum of the software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering with stakeholders, working as a team to build and test features, managing deployment and supporting the service in production. Joining a small, dynamic team you will have the opportunity to work on a large greenfield development, helping to form the design and development of the entire system.
The day to day responsibilities
We operate an iterative development process across a team with no fixed hierarchy where responsibilities are claimed based on experience and competence. This requires a self-motivated and collaborative individual working as part of a distributed development team where communication is often asynchronous and visible. It will be important to get up to speed with the current codebase, help to make changes and improvements in keeping with current designs whilst working towards a mutually agreed architecture. We are huge proponents of automation, so automated testing, continuous integration and continuous deployment are all inherent parts of every engineer's role.
Your skills and attributes
- Excellent programming and problem solving skills
- Understanding of prevalent software design patterns and paradigms, such as RESTAPI design, MVVM, microservices, containers/orchestration or event-driven architecture
- Awareness of secure programming and testing practices
Our tools and technologies
The below are all things that we are either currently using or have found to be a useful foundation when joining our team. Prior knowledge of them is not essential but would be beneficial to the role:
- Vue (including SFCs, Vuex, npm and webpack)
- Dart and Flutter
- The HashiCorp stack, such as Nomad, Jaeger, Terraform and Vault
Working at Touch by AJ Bell
- Salary: £50,000-60,000
- Location: Bristol/Remote
- Discretionary bonus scheme: Based on performance against personal targets and, where appropriate, team objectives and on the financial success of your division
- Death in service: Membership of our company group death in service scheme, which provides a sum assured of 3 times salary
- Low-cost private medical insurance: Option to join the scheme, the group provides access to a low-cost scheme on a voluntary, salary sacrifice basis
- Holiday entitlement: 24 working days plus bank holidays, increasing by 1 every year up to 30 days (plus holiday buy and sell scheme)
- Reduced charges: AJ Bell Youinvest SIPP, ISA and/or General Investment Account
- Study support scheme: may be provided in the way of financial support and/or time off for study and exams
- BAYE scheme: Ability to purchase AJ Bell shares through salary sacrifice
- Pension scheme: Eligible to receive an employer contribution of up to 4% of your basic salary if you make a personal contribution of at least 5% - up to the upper earnings limit
- Bike loan scheme: an interest free loan of up to £1,000 to pay for a new bike to cycle to work
- Employee assistance programme: a helpline run by an external provider available24/7 and able to provide counselling services and legal advice when needed
- Enhanced maternity and paternity schemes: offer enhanced pay for employees with 2years' service at 15 weeks before the baby's due date
- Charity giving through payroll: able to nominate a charity to receive donations each month, taken through payroll
If you like the sound of the above, or just want to know more about the company and the role, we'd love to speak to you.