This is an exciting opportunity to be a key part of a newly formed Data Engineering function that are building a new data platform at AJ Bell using the latest technology. The purpose of this role is to build, maintain and evolve the data platform to meet the business’s growing demand for data. Involved in end to end development working with key stakeholders and internal customers to enable the business to take advantage and make informed decisions using the data.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Identifying and refining data requirements from key stakeholders to ensure data is accessible and fits their needs.
- Developing Data Warehousing solutions.
- Automating extract, load and transform (ELT) pipelines that follow modern CI/CD practices.
- Data Integration Design – Ensure development is scalable, efficient and future-proof.
- Data Modelling – Producing clear data models where necessary.
- Maintain Data Platform.
- Provisioning data from various sources.
- Create automated tests to ensure quality and integrity of data.
- Ensure data is compliant with AJ Bell’s Data Governance and Data Classification policies.
- Maintain data dictionary.
- Maintain business level data model.
- Recommending and introducing new technology where needed
- Cloud data platforms (e.g. Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift)
- Data transformation technology such as DBT
- Visual Studio Code
- CI automation systems such as Jenkins
- A git-based source control system such as BitBucket
- Data Warehouse/Kimball methodology
- Data Lake
- Data replication technology such as HVR
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Good communication skills and comfortable working with both technical and non-technical teams
- Good knowledge of IT products and systems
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills verbal and written
- Able to communicate with people at all levels confidently and effectively
- Able to prioritise work effectively
- Customer focused
- Flexible approach to work - team player
- Adaptable to changing environment
- Embraces continuous learning
- Previous experience working in an e-commerce and/or financial services business
- Streaming ETL (e.g. Kafka, Siddhi) and change data capture (CDC)
- Ability to use Docker and container orchestration tools
- AWS cloud infrastructure including AWS CDK
- MS SQL
- No SQL database such as Mongo
AJ Bell is one of the fastest-growing investment platform businesses in the UK, with over 418,000 customers using our award-winning platform propositions to manage assets totalling more than £74.1 billion. Having listed on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange in December 2018, AJ Bell is now a FTSE 250 company.
Headquartered in Manchester with an office in central London, we now have over 1000 employees and have been named one of the Sunday Times ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ for three consecutive years.
- Regular remote working from home
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Contributory pension
- Pay-day drinks on our 7th-floor roof terrace
- 24 days holiday increasing to 30 with length of service
- Holiday buy scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity
- Death in service cover
- Confidential 24/7 365 employee assistance helpline
- Free onsite gym and trainer-led classes (yoga, Pilates, boxercise, circuits)
- Paid volunteering days
- Bike loan scheme
- Season ticket loan portal
- Plus, much more