Full Stack PHP Developer
We are looking for a mid to senior level PHP software developer responsible for the development and maintenance of our award winning cloud based web applications.
What does the job involve?
Your primary focus will be the development of our web applications, building APIs, consuming external data sources and developing back-end services utilising a combination of the Zend framework and AWS lambdas. You will be working in a small highly focused, yet relaxed team, following agile processes & principles to ensure a high level of code quality. Working towards CI/CD practices you will be an advocate for clean, tested, scalable code.
In addition to back-end focused developers, you will also be working in a cross functional team with front-end designers, developers, automation engineers, mobile application developers and the product teams. Therefore, commitment to collaborative problem solving, clean code and creating high quality products are essential.
- Translate business requirements into high quality, tested, and secure code
- Design, build & maintain highly performance, reliable and reusable code
- Tackle complex projects using Agile principles in line with business priorities
- Identify and fix bugs or performance issues
- Build new features for the client facing web applications
- Build new APIs for mobile and web applications
- Consume external 3rd party API services
- Contribute to our CI/CD objectives.
- Strong PHP knowledge with full stack, front and back end development experience using either Zend, Symfony or Laravel.
- LAMP stack experience (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP).
- A strong understanding of programming fundamentals such as OOP, inheritance, & composition.
- Good understanding of Typescript and node.js
- Good knowledge of the fundamentals of REST API design.
- Good problem-solving and analytical abilities.
- Knowledge of MongoDB beneficial.
- Knowledge of React would be beneficial
- Familiarity with Linux environments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience with Amazon AWS & Docker would be beneficial
Knowledge & Skills
Core language and platform skills:
- Object oriented PHP 5.3+
- MySQL, MongoDB
- XML / SOAP
Familiar with the following frameworks:
- Zend Framework 2 & 3 or Laravel or Symfony
AJ Bell is one of the fastest-growing investment platform businesses in the UK, with over 418,000 customers using our award-winning platform propositions to manage assets totalling more than £74.1 billion. Having listed on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange in December 2018, AJ Bell is now a FTSE 250 company.
Headquartered in Manchester with an office in central London, we now have over 1000 employees and have been named one of the Sunday Times ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ for three consecutive years.
There are opportunities for growth and professional development for members wanting to progress within their career including induction training and our study support scheme which is part of our benefits package.
At AJ Bell you can expect a friendly working environment with a strong sense of team work, we have a great sense of pride in what we do and this is reflected in our guiding principles.
There is an active programme of social events throughout the year, which are open to all employees.
What we offer:
- Regular remote working
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Contributory pension
- Dedicated time for proof-of-concepts and assessing new tech
- Support to attend conferences, events, and meet-ups
- 24 days holiday increasing to 30 with length of service
- Holiday buy scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity
- Death in service cover
- Confidential 24/7 365 employee assistance helpline
- Paid volunteering days
- Bike loan scheme
- Season ticket loan portal
- Plus, much more
This role provides formal cover for Mission and Business Critical systems and processes, and as such you may be required to work evenings, weekends and bank holidays to provide out of hours support for such systems and processes, as part of a rota. Employees who are scheduled to be on-call will receive a weekly standby allowance and will be paid for overtime worked during these periods.
This role is available under our hybrid working scheme. Ideally we're looking for people who are within commuting distance of one of our offices however for certain roles we can consider UK-based candidates who are further away - ask the recruitment team for more information. Please note, we are unable to provide employment sponsorship to candidates at this time.