We are searching for a mid/senior-level product centric Android engineer to help us on our mission of striving to make investing easier for all. We like winning awards and we want you to help delight our users by creating award winning apps. You will put users at the forefront of the way you think and be passionate about great user experience and user interface design. You will be able to deliver tested, resilient and performant code against a fast paced environment. Your role will be pivotal in helping us achieve our mission by developing, shaping and iterating our customer facing Android applications.
You will be working on a product that will help shape the way that people invest in order to secure their future financial wellbeing. Working in a small highly focused mobile application development team you will be responsible for delivering against key company goals not just a set of features. You will have the opportunity to impact and shape the way we build products.
Working in a small agile team will allow you to be both nimble whilst at the same time delivering value to the business. Our focus is on individuals and delivery rather than ceremonies and complex process.
What will your key responsibilities be?
- Translate designs and wireframes into high quality code and beautiful products.
- Design, build and maintain high performance, reusable, and reliable Kotlin code.
- Ensure and strive for the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the application.
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs.
- Help maintain code quality, organisation, and automation.
- Work collaboratively alongside other engineers and developers working on different layers of infrastructure.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in native mobile development.
- Experience in developing consumer facing, high-performance Android applications using Kotlin.
- Strong knowledge of Android SDK and all of its components.
- Understanding of design patterns & SOLID principles.
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect Android applications to back-end services.
- Knowledge of the open-source Android ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements.
- Understanding of Android design principles and interface guidelines.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
AJ Bell is one of the fastest-growing investment platform businesses in the UK, with over 418,000 customers using our award-winning platform propositions to manage assets totalling more than £74.1 billion. Having listed on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange in December 2018, AJ Bell is now a FTSE 250 company.
Headquartered in Manchester with an office in central London, we now have 900 employees and have been named one of the Sunday Times ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ for three consecutive years.
There are opportunities for growth and professional development for members wanting to progress within their career including induction training and our study support scheme which is part of our benefits package.
At AJ Bell you can expect a friendly working environment with a strong sense of team work, we have a great sense of pride in what we do and this is reflected in our guiding principles.
There is an active programme of social events throughout the year, which are open to all employees.
- Regular remote working
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Contributory pension
- Dedicated time for proof-of-concepts and assessing new tech
- Support to attend conferences, events, and meet-ups
- 24 days holiday increasing to 30 with length of service
- Holiday buy scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity
- Death in service cover
- Confidential 24/7 365 employee assistance helpline
- Paid volunteering days
- Bike loan scheme
- Season ticket loan portal
- Plus, much more
This role is available under our hybrid working scheme. Ideally we're looking for people who are within commuting distance of one of our offices however for certain roles we can consider UK-based candidates who are further away - ask the recruitment team for more information. Please note, we are unable to provide employment sponsorship to candidates at this time.